Sunday, August 28, 2011

Just a brief update for now and I'll edit later.

Since my last post I attended a throw party. This is an event held by the women of the family when a boy kills his first seal or a girl finds her first egg. The party I went to was held by Maxine a teacher at the school. A throw party consists of the women literally throwing household items into a crowd of women and children from the village. I caught a bowl, candies, and writing utensils, while my roommate caught a pitcher. Pictures will follow.


On the first day of school, Agnes my aide brought me dried salmon strips to try and they were delicious.

Maxine brought us Yupik ice cream which is usually made out of crisco and berries. The one she brought had a relative of spinach in it as well as dried fruit and salmon berries. I definitely ate more then is healthy but it was delicious.

I am finally receiving my full circle farms. Every Tuesday I get a box full of fruits and veggies. I didn't know I missed them so much until the first box arrived and I literally jumped for joy.

For those of you who know my mother, you will be happy to know that this week I attempted and successfully made her stuffed cabbage and homemade pierogies. Even though her recipe was super complicated for use in bush Alaska and I had to use Maureen's simplified recipe because I could actually get all the ingredients here. I assure you I am not starving in the bush. My roommate and I have almost finished an entire gallon of ice cream which arrived on Thursday evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment