Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I'm here!

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am here. I would have updated you sooner but it's been a whirlwind experience. Yesterday we worked on paperwork for most of the day and had an ice cream social last night. We are staying in a dorm that has two bunk beds and I am rooming with the other three new teachers from Kipnuk. So far everyone is super nice and super helpful. Today was our first day of training and we got a lot of introductions and learned how to find out what our curriculum is. Tonight Jenny (my tentative roommate), Ken (a new teacher in another village), and I walked to AC to get fishing licenses for tomorrow's fishing trip. Tomorrow, I think we are going to get a crash-course in the language and other cultural experiences including tasting the local cuisine. That's all I have for now so I'll close with some pictures.

This is on the plane leaving Pittsburgh.


A statue in Denver



In Anchorage




Landing in Bethel

Dorms from the outside

Heinz Ketchup does exist in Bethel

Ross the driver told me that when the foxglove plants bloom at the top winter has arrived


View from walking towards the dorm

No comments:

Post a Comment